retro pendant

Freeform Peyote Bracelet, Day 2

This freeform peyote bracelet took me longer than I expected, because I couldn't decide how I wanted it to end up! Between deciding colors, design and a clasp, I was running out of ideas.

Nevertheless, I did finish it. For additional embelishments I used size 11 silvered clear seed beads, in a random pattern around the bracelet. No particular design or idea, just where I though it might look interesting.

Freeform Peyote Bracelet, Completed

Freeform Peyote Bracelet, Completed

 

For the clasp, that was tough. I had originally thought button and loop; I did the loop then realized that I had no button!  Well, I had some in gold-tone that were perfect, but the gold didn't quite go with the rest of the bracelet.

Hmmm, rummaging around in my button bag, I found plenty that were too big or too small.  Drat.  Then I came across the dark blue button.  Right size, but a little dark.  Well, let me add some seed beads and try to lighten it up some.

And that actually turned out to be a good idea, because the button fits well against the bracelet; it's not so tall that it hurts when I put my armon the table and type.  Or write.  So it turned out well.

The Next Project - Retro

OK, I decided that I was going to do something that had a retro/vintage look about it, but with a little modern-day flair.  The decision?  A necklace with a large pendant.

I started off pretty well, with a moss jasper cabachon glued onto some Lacy's Stiff Stuff (I think that's what it's called).  OK, I confess; the cab has been glued onto the backing for...how many years?  Several, at any rate.

So, I added a ring around the base of the cab with white 3-cut size 15 seed beads.  Now I remember why I dislike working with size 15; they're so tiny!  But, I finally got them all put on.

Next was a ring of turquoise around the cab.  Kind of rough-looking turquoise, but it had the green-y color that picked up on the colors in the cab.  Done.

Retro Jewelry Necklace, Step 1

Retro Jewelry Necklace, Step 1

 

But it didn't look right yet.  Ahhh, I found a tube of silver seed beads, around a size 6.  Turquoise and silver go well together, so why not?  So I sewed some of the silver beads around and between the cab and the turquoise.  And that's where I'm at so far, as you can see.

Then I did something really silly, even for me.  Not thinking, I cut away the Stiff Stuff from the back of the cab.  Totally forgetting that I really needed to glue it to some suede before cutting.  Argh.

So now I have to slightly modify my original design before continuing, because I need to get a backing on and hide all the stitches.  But I have some ideas.

I'm off to find the glue, more Stiff Stuff, some suede and some jump rings.  The glue will take a few hours to set, so I'll have to continue tomorrow.

For today, I'll leave you with some lampwork auctions to look at and enjoy.  Have fun!

[nms:lampwork beads sra,6,1,10]